What Foot Conditions Do High Heels & Pointy Toes Shoes Cause?
Long term use of high heels and pointy toes shoes can result in major structural changes of the foot. Most visual changes involve the toes and front part of the foot. The front foot starts to resemble that of a pointy toed shoe with the foot having a triangular appearance. The big toe is pushed outward and the small (pinky) toe pushed inward. The central toes becomes buckled and folded onto one another. Medically speaking, the high heeled shoes cause bunion of the great toe hammer toes of the central toes, and bunionette of the small toe.
When to Seek A High Heel Foot Makeover
The decision to seek treatment is different for everyone. Pain is the most common reason patients seek treatment. Pain may be at the bunion region, ball of the foot and/or directly on the toes. Inability to wear shoes or be active is another specific common concern for patients. Some patients specifically want to get back into high heels and pointy toes shoes. Patients seek treatment to improve the physical appearance of the foot.
What Is A High Heel Foot Makeover?
A high heel foot makeover involves surgically correcting the structural problems that are the result of long term high heel use. Depending on the extent with which the foot has changed, surgery is specifically tailored for your particular need. In most cases, a bunion deformity is the most prevalent part of the high heel foot, and a bunion surgery (Bunionplasty®) is almost always performed. Dr. Blitz evaluates each toe independently, and will reconstruct the toes appropriately. In many cases, the a high heel makeover consists of bunion and multiple toe surgery.
High Heel Foot Makeover Surgery Recovery
Recovery after High Heel Makeover Surgery is dependent on the extent of the procedures performed and the severity. Typically patients are walking on the operated foot in a post-surgical shoe for 6 weeks, depending on healing. Return to shoes is at least 8 weeks after the surgery, again considering that a more involved case. Factors that may prolong healing are age, smoking, poor nutritional status, and some medical problems.
What Anesthesia Is Needed For High Heel Foot Makeover Surgery
Bunionplasty® and toe surgeries are typically performed as outpatient same-day surgery. It may be performed in a hospital, ambulatory surgery center and even in the doctors office (so long as the facility is set up for surgery). The surgery can be performed under a local, regional, spinal or general anesthetic.
Why Choose Dr. Blitz As Your Foot Surgeon?
● Overall Experience: Dr. Blitz has over 12 years of major experience in the field.
● Board Certification: Dr. Blitz is Board Certified in Foot Surgery and Reconstructive Foot Surgery by the American Board of Podiatric Medicine (ABPS).
● Peer-reviewed and General Publications: Over that past decade Dr. Blitz has published dozens articles, case reports, and letters in scientific journals on a variety of topics. Dr. Blitz has published in the Journal of Foot & Ankle Surgery, Archives of Plastic Surgery, Clinics in Podiatric Medicine & Surgery, Podiatry Today, Huffington Post and the Mount Sinai Journal of Medicine.
● Lecturer: Dr. Blitz has a solid history of lecturing on hammer toe surgery.
● Innovator: Dr. Blitz is an innovator for foot surgery.
● Patient Feedback: Please visit Dr. Blitz’s Patient Comments page, or his Facebook page.
● In The News: Dr. Blitz has been on various media outlets as an expert in foot surgery.