For the best possible outcome, Dr. Blitz strongly encourages his patients to prepare the home and arrange your support system.
Some things that may be helpful are:
- Stock the refrigerator and pantry.
- Cook some meals in advance to get you through the first few days.
- Obtain ice packs and place them in the freezer.
- Do not use ice in a plastic bag as this can leak and get your bandages wet.
- Dr. Blitz recommends that you purchase either: re-usable ice packs or disposable ice packs
- Place commonly used items in easy to reach places.
- Practice with crutches (if you will need them).
- Have extra-pillows to elevate your limb after surgery.
- Have your phone near your bed and/or couch.
- Use the bathroom before going to sleep.
- Purchase a watertight shower protector to keep your bandages dry – buy now from Dr. Blitz’ eStore by clicking here.
- Arrange your furniture to allow for easy passage.
- Program your Surgeons phone # in your phone in case of emergency.
- Start nutritional supplementation to support the healing process.
- Purchase elastic compressive dressing to wrap the foot postoperatively as Dr. Blitz instructs to keep the swelling to a minimum.
- Buy 2 rolls of 4” Coban Wrap – buy now from Dr. Blitz’ eStore by clicking here.
- Get your pain medicine prescription filled before the day of surgery.